Tuesday, January 27, 2015

You Heard it From the Greats





In an effort to ride the motivation roller coaster on a continual high, I have been researching advice from well-known authors who have weathered the storm that I'm coming to know as writing a novel.  In all my 30 something years of life the only other time I've ever felt so out of my depth has been parenting.  Those of us who have been on that particular ride know that its often daily that we say, "what the hell just happened," then move on cautiously like prey in the presence of a possibly hungry predator.   A couple of years ago I gave birth to a novel, and now I'm trying to raise it.  Since I've kept it locked in the basement for a long while, I don't think I'm doing so hot.

So, like any modern day parent knows, when you aren't sure you are raising your child right, Google it.  I Googled and found a great article from Cody Delistraty at thoughtcatalog.com.  This is the advice that stuck with me:

1. Get through a draft as quickly as possible. Hard to know the shape of the thing until you have a draft. Literally, when I wrote the last page of my first draft of Lincoln’s Melancholy I thought, Oh, shit, now I get the shape of this. But I had wasted years, literally years, writing and re-writing the first third to first half. The old writer’s rule applies: Have the courage to write badly. – Joshua Wolf Shenk 

I think this might be the most important piece of writing advice that I have ever received.  I've been stuck making the very mistake this warns against.  I'm putting my foot down and having courage. 

2.  The first draft of everything is shit. -Ernest Hemingway

I will use this quote to console myself after following Shenk's advice.

3. I would advise anyone who aspires to a writing career that before developing his talent he would be wise to develop a thick hide. — Harper Lee

This is also advice after following through with Shenk's challenge.  I'm putting this one in my back pocket.  I think it's going to take some practice to accomplish when it comes to my writing. 

4. Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout with some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand. — George Orwell

I found great solace in knowing I'm not crazy.  It's not just me.  The great George Orwell knows my demon and my pain.

5. If writing seems hard, it’s because it is hard. It’s one of the hardest things people do. – William Zinsser

I think I already waxed and waned about this above.  Just in case any of you think I'm kidding, I'm not.  Writing is hard, but it's worth it to kick that demon off your back.

6. Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college. – Kurt Vonnegut 

Well.  Awkward.  I like semicolons.

7. Write drunk, edit sober. – Ernest Hemingway

I added this in here more for the benefit of my readers, particularly those following my blog.  I happen to agree with and follow this advice on occasion.  Please beware and bestow me with understanding.   

8. Start telling the stories that only you can tell, because there’ll always be better writers than you and there’ll always be smarter writers than you. There will always be people who are much better at doing this or doing that — but you are the only you. ― Neil Gaiman 

This is another piece of advice that I find great solace in.  I have a story to tell, and it is mine.  No one can out me me.  I'm the most me out there.  I'll use that for all me has.

9. You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you. ― Ray Bradbury 

I'm trying, Ray, I really am.  Your words and the words of your peers are a fine malt whiskey for me.  In some cases "fine" may be a stretch, but I don't mind until the hangover.

10. Don’t take anyone’s writing advice too seriously. – Lev Grossman 

Done, and Done.  Well, it might not be THAT easy, but I'm sure as heck going to try.  When you pour your soul onto a page its easy to get a bit sensitive.  That's equally true for wanting your soul to be the most beautiful thing on Earth as it is for not wanting criticism.  At some point, I will have to accept that like any child, it will not be perfect, but it's mine to raise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment